Call Today for Your FREE Consultation


650 Diehl Road, Suite 117, Naperville, IL 60563

DuPage County Divorce Attorney for Child Issues

Plainfield family law attorney for child custody and child support

Lawyers for Child Custody, Visitation, and Child Support in Naperville

Regardless of how well you and your former partner get along, a divorce or separation is going to upend you and your children's lives. During this time, you are going to want to do everything you can to protect your children's health, safety, and well-being. However, you will also need to take steps to protect your parental rights and ensure that you can continue to be the parent your children deserve in the years to come. As you address legal issues related to your children, you will want to have an experienced, knowledgeable family law attorney on your side.

The Law Office of Ronald L. Hendrix, P.C. assists divorcing and unmarried parents in resolving matters related to the custody and support of children. We have over 35 years of combined experience, and we are ready to work with you to find the best possible solution to your situation. We will take the time to understand your needs and goals, and we will help you determine whether you can resolve these matters outside the courtroom using methods such as mediation or collaborative law. However, if you cannot reach a settlement with your ex-partner, we are fully prepared to represent you during litigation and fight to protect your children's best interests.

Child Issues for Divorcing and Unmarried Parents

When parents split up, they will need to determine how to define their ongoing roles and responsibilities in raising their children. They will likely need to address a variety of legal issues, including:

  • Child custody/allocation of parental responsibilities - Parents will need to determine how they will share in the decision-making responsibilities involved in raising their children. They will divide or share responsibilities regarding children's education, healthcare, religion, and extracurricular activities.
  • Child support - Both of a child's parents have the obligation to provide financial support to meet the child's ongoing, daily needs. In Illinois, an "income shares" method is used to calculate these obligations, and the income earned by both parents will be taken into account. Parents may also need to divide additional expenses related to children's child care, medical care, educational needs, and extracurricular activities.
  • Parenting plans and visitation - Divorcing couples and unmarried parents need to create a parenting agreement that includes all the decisions made about how they will divide responsibilities and the rules they will follow regarding their children. This agreement will also include a schedule for the parenting time that children will spend with each parent on a daily basis as well as on holidays, vacations, or other special days.
  • Non-minor support - While parents will no longer be obligated to pay child support once children reach the age of 18, they may be required to help pay the expenses related to a child's college education. However, Illinois law provides some stipulations related to what expenses are covered and when this type of support may be terminated.

Contact Our Will County Family Law Attorneys

Decisions about your children will be some of the most important matters decided during your divorce. If you are not married and are separated from your children's other parent, you will also want to address these issues to ensure that your children will have the financial support and parental relationships they deserve. At the Law Office of Ronald L. Hendrix, P.C., our lawyers can provide you with dedicated legal help when addressing concerns related to your children, and we will work with you to find solutions that are in their best interests. Contact our office today at 630-355-7776 or 815-722-7050 to schedule a free consultation. We represent clients in family law cases at the DuPage County Courthouse in Wheaton, the Kane County Courthouse in St. Charles, the Will County Courthouse in Joliet, and the Kendall County Courthouse in Yorkville.

avvo mh three lod isba cba aba acr dcba wcba
Back to Top