Call Today for Your FREE Consultation


650 Diehl Road, Suite 117, Naperville, IL 60563

Will County Divorce Attorney Explains Who Pays for College Expenses

DuPage County college expenses and divorce lawyer

Lawyers for Non-Minor Support in Naperville, Plainfield, and Bolingbrook

During your divorce, you will need to determine your child support obligations, which will ensure that your children's ongoing needs will be met. However, in addition to addressing these immediate concerns and making sure you will be able to cover expenses once your divorce is complete, you will also need to make plans for potential future expenses, including the costs of your children's college education. An experienced family law attorney can help you determine your obligations when it comes to financial support for your children once they reach age 18 or graduate from high school.

The Law Office of Ronald L. Hendrix, P.C. has assisted numerous clients in resolving divorce-related issues. With over 35 years of combined experience, our lawyers can ensure that you understand how the divorce laws in Illinois apply to your case, and we can work with you to determine the best ways to assist in paying your children's college expenses while maintaining your own financial security.

Non-Minor Support Obligations

Typically, child support payments for minor children will end when a child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is later. However, if a child has a disability or special needs that would affect their ability to provide for themselves upon reaching adulthood, parents' support obligations may continue after the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later.

Divorced parents may also be obligated to contribute to the costs of their children's college education. These obligations are typically reserved at the time of divorce pursuant to the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act Section 513. This support may be used to help pay for the following types of expenses:

  • Tuition and related fees. Parents' obligations cannot exceed the costs of in-state tuition at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for the school year in question.
  • Room and board. Parents' obligations cannot exceed the costs of a double-occupancy dorm room and standard meal plan at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for the school year in question.
  • Other living expenses throughout the year, including the costs of food, transportation, and utilities while the child is living with either parent.
  • Medical expenses, including health insurance and dental care.
  • Books and supplies.
  • Any other expenses necessary to ensure that a child receives a college education.

When determining the amount of non-minor support parents will be required to pay, the court will consider the parents' income and financial ability to pay, the standard of living the child would have enjoyed if the parents had not gotten divorced, and the financial resources available to the child, such as scholarships, student loans, college savings accounts, and other college support received from other family members.

Parents' obligations to contribute to college expenses will end when the child graduates and obtains a baccalaureate degree. Non-minor support may also be terminated if the child gets married, fails to maintain a "C" grade average, or reaches the age of 23.

Contact Our DuPage County Non-Minor Support Attorneys

You want what is best for your children, and that includes ensuring that they receive the education necessary to work in their chosen career. However, you will also need to make sure you can cover your own expenses and maintain financial security for your household. Our lawyers can help you address your obligations related to your children's college expenses, and we will work with you to make sure both parents are making the necessary contributions that will allow your child to succeed. To learn more about how we can assist with support and other divorce-related matters, contact us at 630-355-7776 or 815-722-7050 to set up your free consultation today. We provide legal help to clients in Plainfield, Naperville, Bolingbrook, and throughout Will County, Kane County, DuPage County, and Kendall County.

avvo mh three lod isba cba aba acr dcba wcba
Back to Top